Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pesto Ricotta Stuffed Shells


I had a friend bring our family stuffed shells a few months back.  I decided that I should make them myself since they were enjoyed by everyone in the family.  I didn't have a recipe but I did put together what I figured was in the dish she brought.



I mixed 1 egg and 2 tbsp pesto into about 4 cups of ricotta (2/3 of the container)


I then poured 1/3 of a jar of Alfredo sauce at the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  I just happened to pick a jar up at TJ's the day before.  You can always make your own and use that too.


I boiled the full box of shells. (I ended up having 12 shells that did not fit into my pan so I prepared them and put them into a take out container I had a put them in the freezer so that I had a second meal on hand in for the future)  You can always cook up a second pan too.






Once the shells are cooked (NOT overcooked) place the ricotta mixture in a large piping bag (or put it in a zipper bag and but the end off to create a tip for piping).  Then pipe the mixture into each shell.  Probably about 1 tbsp per shell.  Lay each shell on the bed of Alfredo sauce in the pan.

Once all the shells are filled,  cover with 2 cups tomato sauce.  Then on top of the tomato sauce, spoon the rest of the Alfredo sauce.  Top with pesto.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 mins.  If you want some extra cheesiness, add 1 cup grated mozzarella on top of the shells for the last 5-10 minutes.

No comments: