Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Carrot, Butternut Squash Curry Soup

I have never really liked butternut squash but I thought this would be a good recipe to try.  It actually called for yellow squash but I could not find it at the market.  I made it thinking, if we don't like it oh well.  Can I just tell you, I think it might be one of my favorite soups.  The curry with the garlic and onions make for amazing flavor! 

I found the base recipe on the Pioneer Woman website and made some modifications that make it work for us.


    * 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    * 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
    * 1 whole Large Onion, Diced
    * 4 whole Carrots, Washed And Sliced Thin
    * 2 butternut squash, peeled and sliced
    * Salt To Taste
    * 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder & 1 tsp cumin
    * ½ cups Dry White Wine (I used cooking wine because that was all I had)
    * 8 cups Chicken Broth
  

Preparation Instructions

Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and stir to coat. Add carrots and cook for 3 minutes, or until they start to get soft. Sprinkle in a little salt.

Add squash. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until squash is soft and tender. After a few minutes, add salt to taste and the curry powder and cumin.

Pour in wine. Let evaporate for about 30 seconds, then pour in chicken broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot, and cook for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, taste and adjust seasonings. Turn off heat.

Puree soup using a hand blender, or in batches in a regular blender. Return to soup pot and bring to a simmer. Serve hot. 

Makes 12 cups (3 WW points for 2 cups)

No comments: