Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Quinoa & Black Bean Salad

I found this recipe when I was searching for summer BBQ ideas. It intriqued me because I have always wanted to try Quinoa.

The flavor is really fresh and I think it would be a real crowd pleaser. I am going to take this to the next BBQ we go to. I did not have the jalepeno, so I did not include it the first time I made this, but I will definately try it next time.

3 cups water
1-1/2 cups quinoa
2 teaspoons table salt

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Zest & juice from 3 limes (about 5 tablespoons juice)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1-1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 cups frozen corn (no need to thaw or cook)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 jalapeƱo peppers, minced
2 cups cilantro (about 1 bunch), chopped

Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan over medium high. Rinse quinoa well under cold running water. Add salt and quinoa to water, return to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain and cool slightly.

Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add quinoa. Taste and add salt if needed. Let cool at least 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 8 cups
NUTRITION ESTIMATE Per Half Cup Serving: 153 Cal; 5g Protein; 5g Tot Fat; 1g Sat Fat; 23g Carb; 4g Fiber; 449mg Sodium; 0mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 3 points
Recipe found on the Kitchen Parade Website.

No comments: