Monday, May 25, 2009

Low Fat Bran Muffins

In a Large Bowl mix the following ingredients:
5 Cups whole Wheat flour (or a combo or white and whole wheat)
5 Tsp baking soda
1 1/2 C brown sugar
2 Cups Natural Bran
3 Cups All Bran Cereal (I use Bran flakes cereal at times too if I don't have All Bran)
Optional: I add 2-3 Tbsp of ground flax seed

In another bowl, mix together wet ingredients:
2 eggs
1 Cup Applesauce (I use unsweetened)
1/4 cup molasses
4 cups buttermilk (I use 4 cups skim milk + 4 tbsp vinegar to sour it)
1 1/2 C water

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. I add Craisins, raisins, blueberries or other fruit at the time of baking.

Bake 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees Yields 5 dozen

You can refrigerate this mixture for weeks and make as much as you need when you need it.

No comments: