Saturday, May 10, 2014

Carrot Cake (Gluten Free)

In my attempt to eat clean, I have been adapting recipes to be as clean as possible.  This week when 2 lbs of carrots were $.99 at my local fruit and veggie market, I decided to try my hand at carrot cake.  I think it turned out pretty good actually, for my first try.  I may make adjustments along the way but here is what I did.

Carrot Cake
Ingredients: 1 1/2 Cups pineapple (I had frozen but you could use a 15-ounce can crushed pineapple  juice included) 1 pound carrots, peeled and shredded (I used about 4 cups shredded) 1/2 cup almond flour (I use TJ almond meal) 1/2 cup coconut flour 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut 1/2 cup coconut sugar 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted 4 eggs 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon allspice

Directions: Preheat oven to 350º.
In the food processor with the grater blade I processed the carrots and pineapple. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together well. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan or two 8x8 pans or even make muffins out of it. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Cool completely, and then frost with cream cheese frosting if desired.

I tried a clean-ish version of cream cheese frosting...it was...ok!  That definately needs some tweaking for sure!  I used cream cheese, honey, vanilla.  Next time I think it will need a bit of lemon juice too.

No comments: